…Pro-woman because we are pro-life…
The idea that abortion is a woman’s right was always just an opinion. There’s no basis in law, in logic or in our constitution. And there’s certainly no basis in early feminist thought.
Now, on the 20th anniversary of the Morgentaler decision, it’s time for a new idea to take hold. Introducing ProWomanProLife, a pro-life site by women and for women in Canada.
The idea for ProWomanProLife was developed by founding director Andrea Mrozek. “It’s not a woman’s right to have an abortion,” says Mrozek. “There’s no such thing as a right to an abortion, not for women, not for men. It doesn’t contribute to women’s rights and freedoms at all, because having an abortion is, put simply, not a right.”
Mrozek is calling on all women who believe the key to the cultural change is a grassroots movement of women, not legislation. “Top-heavy legislation, that might criminalize abortion, for example, gets us nowhere with a culture of women who believe abortion to be anything from a necessary evil, to a compassionate act, to completely neutral,” she says. “We must be able to discuss the issue with complete and total freedom, and to highlight how uncompassionate abortion actually is, from a woman’s perspective.”
The founding board are women from different walks of life (medicine, psychology, actuarial science, journalism, and public policy), different religions (or no religion at all), have never been vocal or activist on abortion before, do not represent any larger group, and do not currently receive funding from any larger group.
Each woman has a different take on abortion-related issues, and each will have complete freedom to blog precisely what she thinks, representing a spectrum of nuanced pro-woman and pro-life views. Our beliefs revolve around the following points:
- ProWomanProLife is a home for all women who believe that being pro-life is compatible with women’s rights and freedoms.
- ProWomanProLife celebrates women’s legitimate choices, freedoms and rights.
- ProWomanProLife believes abortion is bad for women and that women will be integral in removing abortion from our cultural landscape.
- ProWomanProLife believes abortion is a human, social issue, not a religious or faith matter, whereby women and men of any faith or no faith at all can stand up in support of women’s rights and life, at the same time.
- ProWomanProLife understands the fetus is a new and unique human being from conception, separate from, though dependent on, the woman.
- ProWomanProLife believes that the fetus is deserving of protection.
- ProWomanProLife believes that a compassionate community can and should offer alternatives to abortion. We believe that these alternatives are a key part of eliminating abortion in Canada.
- ProWomanProLife stands up for freedom of speech.
- ProWomanProLife believes abortion is an issue we must face together as a society